Singaporean company Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies will release a small home hydrogen refueling and storage solution at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas later this week that could kickstart mankind’s transition to a hydrogen-based economy.
The HYDROFILL is a small desktop device that plugs into the power supply, a solar panel or a small wind turbine, and automatically extracts hydrogen from its water tank and stores it in a solid form in small refillable cartridges. The cartridges contain metallic alloys that absorb hydrogen into their crystalline structure, a storage method which the company claims offers the highest volumetric energy density of any form of hydrogen storage, even higher than liquid hydrogen.
Horizon Fuel Cell Technologies, which first became known to the general public with an exclusive Gizmag story in 2006 about the company’s educational toy solar hydrogen car. The Horizon toy cars quickly became the world’s largest volume-produced commercial fuel cell products and it is quite an irony that less than half a decade later, the company which launched with a toy car appears set to introduce genuinely disruptive technology into the home, finally enabling the long-touted futuristic vision of a hydrogen station in every home.
The HYDROFILL hydrogen refueling device will enable a low cost, scalable hydrogen supply model and may indeed eliminate the need for large-scale fueling infrastructure investments. As Horizon’s press statement so aptly puts it, the “game-changer innovation can unlock the age-old dilemma over which comes first: clean cars, or clean fuels.”
“We no longer need to rely on nationwide networks of hydrogen fueling stations to enable large-scale fuel cell commercialization,” said Horizon co-founder Taras Wankewycz. “Horizon is initiating a transition that places consumers in the driving seat. Thanks to our innovation each household can gradually become a major part of tomorrow’s hydrogen fuel supply infrastructure.”
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
via Google News
The Latest on: Hydrogen refueling
- EarthTalk: Hydrogen fuel cells were once the future king, where art thou now?on May 1, 2021 at 8:30 am
What’s the latest on hydrogen powered fuel cells? Not long ago they were touted as the energy source of the future, but news has been scant of late.
- Nikola's energy unit to install hydrogen fueling stations at service centerson April 29, 2021 at 10:38 am
The company seems to be turning a new leaf by exploring opportunities in the hydrogen space — this time, in fueling. Nikola's energy division, Nikola Energy, and TravelCenters of America Inc., known ...
- Nikola Energy, TA to build two hydrogen fueling stationson April 29, 2021 at 7:29 am
The fueling stations are targeted to open by Q1 2023 in California, just in time to provide hydrogen for the Nikola Tre fuel-cell electric truck.
- Daimler and Volvo plan hydrogen fuel cell truck production in 2025on April 29, 2021 at 5:54 am
Daimler and Volvo will start making hydrogen fuel cells in Europe in 2025 via joint venture cellcentric, and called for EU policies to help make the zero-emission technology commercially viable.
- HYDROGEN REFUELING SOLUTIONS (HRS): HRS selected to supply 100% green hydrogen refuelling stationon April 27, 2021 at 9:16 am
HRS selected to supply 100% green hydrogen refuelling station Champ-sur-Drac, 27 April 2021 - HRS, European designer and manufacturer of hydrogen refuelling stations, has been awarded the contract ...
- HYDROGEN REFUELING SOLUTIONS (HRS): HRS ramps up deployment of green hydrogen through HYGO projecton April 26, 2021 at 9:20 am
HRS ramps up deployment of green hydrogen through HYGO project Champ-sur-Drac, April 26, 2021 - HRS, a European designer and manufacturer of hydrogen refuelling stations, has received the order for ...
- TravelCenters of America to Add Hydrogen Fueling Sites for Big Rigson April 22, 2021 at 4:04 pm
TravelCenters of America is stepping up its alternative-energy game as tougher regulations push the commercial transport sector to look beyond diesel fuel.
- Nikola, TA to Install HD Hydrogen Fueling Stationson April 22, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Nikola’s energy division and TravelCenters of America have agreed to collaborate on the installation of hydrogen fueling stations for heavy-duty trucks at two existing sites in California.
- Nikola Shares Get Jolt After Joining TravelCenters Of America To Create Hydrogen Fueling Networkon April 22, 2021 at 1:31 pm
The two companies plan to construct the first two stations at existing TATA-Petro locations in California and they will be operating by the first quarter of 2023.
- Nikola Partners to Deploy Hydrogen Fueling Stations at TA-Petro Locationson April 22, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Nikola Corp. shares traded 15% higher after the company reported that its Nikola Energy division will construct two heavy-duty hydrogen fueling stations at TA-Petro locations in California.
via Bing News