Hmmm. You think it’s a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it’s also arguably the happiest nation on earth.
There are several ways of measuring happiness in countries, all inexact, but this pearl of Central America does stunningly well by whatever system is used. For example, the World Database of Happiness, compiled by a Dutch sociologist on the basis of answers to surveys by Gallup and others, lists Costa Rica in the top spot out of 148 nations.
That’s because Costa Ricans, asked to rate their own happiness on a 10-point scale, average 8.5. Denmark is next at 8.3, the United States ranks 20th at 7.4 and Togo and Tanzania bring up the caboose at 2.6.
Scholars also calculate happiness by determining “happy life years.” This figure results from merging average self-reported happiness, as above, with life expectancy. Using this system, Costa Rica again easily tops the list. The United States is 19th, and Zimbabwe comes in last.
A third approach is the “happy planet index,” devised by the New Economics Foundation, a liberal think tank. This combines happiness and longevity but adjusts for environmental impact — such as the carbon that countries spew.
The Latest on: Happiness
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Happiness” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Happiness
- Nicklaus: After exit, Greetabl founder reflects that 'we delivered happiness'on February 5, 2023 at 3:00 am
Joe Fischer’s entrepreneurial journey began with an empty cereal box and grew into Greetabl, an e-commerce business with more than $5 million in revenue.
- Pursuing happiness, as Jefferson advised, will help us overcome divisions: Kenneth W. Chalkeron February 5, 2023 at 1:28 am
We must keep on declaring our independence of the voices of division no matter how presently powerful their amplified platforms, then work hard in every way open to us to advance the flourishing – the ...
- I've spent years studying happiness - here's what actually makes for a happier lifeon February 4, 2023 at 11:00 pm
I didn’t get a true taste of happiness until I quit my decade-long career as a happiness academic, packed all I’d need for many months onto a bicycle, and began meandering my way around the world to ...
- Everyday awe: Science's answer to your search for happinesson February 3, 2023 at 3:40 pm
The New Science of Everyday Wonder and How It Can Transform Your Life. John O. Reynolds, former postmaster of Yosemite National Park. The Atlantic: " The Quiet Profundity of Everyday Awe " — "What ...
- Tia Mowry Opens Up About Her Hair and Her Happinesson February 2, 2023 at 8:24 pm
I’m a true believer in the idea that if you see it, you be it. [Happiness] starts with yourself. So the project I am working on is me. I’m learning more about myself. I’m reading this book called ...
- What's the Dalai Lama’s secret to happiness? Be kindon February 2, 2023 at 7:00 am
If you want to know how to be happy, I can proudly report that I now know the answer. I participated in “The Dalai Lama’s guide to happiness” on the Ten Percent Happier app, and it basically solved ...
- Dear Abby: Widow finds happiness with high school sweethearton February 2, 2023 at 2:31 am
One month after his funeral, I was contacted out of the blue by my high school sweetheart. I was reluctant to respond at first, but I decided it couldn’t hurt to meet him and enjoy dinner and ...
- Dear Abby: Widow finally finds happiness ... she just hopes her children will understandon February 2, 2023 at 1:00 am
My children know how miserable I was for decades in my marriage, but I’m still concerned about how they’ll feel about me seriously dating so soon after becoming a widow.
- How ‘1000-Lb Best Friends’ Star Vannessa Cross Gained ‘Happiness’ Out of ‘Misery’ Following Bariatric Weight Loss Surgeryon February 1, 2023 at 11:28 am
Lb Best Friends star Vannessa Cross didn’t want to undergo bariatric surgery — until a family tragedy and a health scare changed her mind. The Georgia native, who has starred on 1000-Lb Best Friends ...
- Yale’s hugely popular happiness course is revamped for teenson February 1, 2023 at 12:42 am
A widely popular course at Yale University about the psychology of happiness has been retooled for teens. It teaches them how to better manage stress and feel happier as they navigate their high ...
via Bing News