Hmmm. You think it’s a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it’s also arguably the happiest nation on earth.
There are several ways of measuring happiness in countries, all inexact, but this pearl of Central America does stunningly well by whatever system is used. For example, the World Database of Happiness, compiled by a Dutch sociologist on the basis of answers to surveys by Gallup and others, lists Costa Rica in the top spot out of 148 nations.
That’s because Costa Ricans, asked to rate their own happiness on a 10-point scale, average 8.5. Denmark is next at 8.3, the United States ranks 20th at 7.4 and Togo and Tanzania bring up the caboose at 2.6.
Scholars also calculate happiness by determining “happy life years.” This figure results from merging average self-reported happiness, as above, with life expectancy. Using this system, Costa Rica again easily tops the list. The United States is 19th, and Zimbabwe comes in last.
A third approach is the “happy planet index,” devised by the New Economics Foundation, a liberal think tank. This combines happiness and longevity but adjusts for environmental impact — such as the carbon that countries spew.
The Latest on: Happiness
via Google News
The Latest on: Happiness
- Tennis: Tunisia hails 'official supplier of happiness' Jabeur for Wimbledon landmarkon July 3, 2021 at 5:00 am
Ons Jabeur's landmark appearance in the last 16 of Wimbledon was hailed in her native Tunisia on Saturday (Jul 3) for helping lift the gloom of ...
- Tunisia hails 'official supplier of happiness' Jabeur for Wimbledon landmarkon July 3, 2021 at 3:33 am
Ons Jabeur's landmark appearance in the last 16 of Wimbledon was hailed in her native Tunisia on Saturday for helping lift the gloom of the country's political and health crisis.
- 'Complete happiness:' Miriam Vargas enjoys life with family outside church sanctuaryon July 3, 2021 at 2:51 am
Miriam Vargas, an undocumented immigrant who lived in church sanctuary for more than two years, is living in a Columbus apartment with her family.
- Delhi govt celebrates three years of ‘Happiness Curriculum’on July 3, 2021 at 12:12 am
These classes are conducted during the first 45 minutes of every school day for children from class I to class VIII, and twice a week for nursery and kindergarten students.
- The Happiness of This Set Pic From HBO’s The Last of Us Hurtson July 2, 2021 at 11:39 am
If we didn't know what happens, this would be the cutest look into the new show! But sadly, we do know what happens, especially to Sarah Miller. The post The Happiness of This Set Pic From HBO’s The ...
- Pursuit of happiness includes no masks, new connectionson July 2, 2021 at 3:00 am
All businesses are in the business of making customers happy. So understanding happiness pursuing trends is the basic building block of good business practice.
- Seeking happiness will determine destiny, Elder Martino teaches at BYU–Hawaii; Sister Aburto talks mental health on Church News podcaston July 1, 2021 at 3:45 pm
Happiness. It is the elusive thing we all seek. But as Elder James B. Martino taught graduates at BYU–Hawaii, “The degree to which we seek [happiness] will ultimately determine our destiny,” while ...
- What Happens When You Prioritize Each Other's Happinesson July 1, 2021 at 6:30 am
As you prioritize your spouse's happiness, there's a good chance you'll want to do even more for them. Hopefully, this will lead to a healthy give-and-take effect that will encourage you both to keep ...
- Prince William should ‘finally accept the happiness’ of Meghan Markle, Prince Harry following reunion: authoron July 1, 2021 at 3:07 am
Royal author Leslie Carroll has previously written a book about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's relationship titled "American Princess." ...
- Why Being Near Water Could Be the Key to Boosting Happiness, According to Scienceon June 29, 2021 at 1:59 pm
Hear the water lap against either shore. Feel the breeze. Take it all in. Odds are you're feeling calmer already. That's because, according to science, being around water can help our mental health in ...
via Bing News