Hmmm. You think it’s a coincidence? Costa Rica is one of the very few countries to have abolished its army, and it’s also arguably the happiest nation on earth.
There are several ways of measuring happiness in countries, all inexact, but this pearl of Central America does stunningly well by whatever system is used. For example, the World Database of Happiness, compiled by a Dutch sociologist on the basis of answers to surveys by Gallup and others, lists Costa Rica in the top spot out of 148 nations.
That’s because Costa Ricans, asked to rate their own happiness on a 10-point scale, average 8.5. Denmark is next at 8.3, the United States ranks 20th at 7.4 and Togo and Tanzania bring up the caboose at 2.6.
Scholars also calculate happiness by determining “happy life years.” This figure results from merging average self-reported happiness, as above, with life expectancy. Using this system, Costa Rica again easily tops the list. The United States is 19th, and Zimbabwe comes in last.
A third approach is the “happy planet index,” devised by the New Economics Foundation, a liberal think tank. This combines happiness and longevity but adjusts for environmental impact — such as the carbon that countries spew.
The Latest on: Happiness
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Happiness” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
via Google News
The Latest on: Happiness
- Tale of two childhoods and treasure chest of happinesson September 27, 2023 at 7:48 pm
All of us live through two childhoods. One with our parents, and the other one with our children and/or nieces and nephews. It’s a privilege to be able to enjoy both, but if one is truly lucky, your c ...
- Happiness coach Dannie De Novo on preparing your mindset for the holiday seasonon September 27, 2023 at 1:57 pm
The holidays are closer than you think. Even if it's your favorite time of the year, the season can be hard on our mental health. Happiness coach Dannie De Novo says now is the time to prepare our ...
- The Norwegian secret: how friluftsliv boosts health and happinesson September 27, 2023 at 9:28 am
The idea of communing with nature is instilled from birth in Norway. I hiked through a rain-drenched forest to try it myself ...
- ADP Canada Happiness@Work Index: The End of Summer Sees Happiness Levels Fallon September 27, 2023 at 3:01 am
The ADP Canada monthly Happiness@Work Index (“Index”) for September reports a slight decrease from August, though measuring on par with the Index benc ...
- Brooke Hogan Says She Skipped Dad Hulk's Third Wedding to 'Create Distance' for 'Healing and Happiness'on September 26, 2023 at 6:42 am
Brooke Hogan posted a lengthy letter to Instagram to clear up misconceptions about why she chose not to attend her dad Hulk Hogan's wedding to Sky Daily ...
- A couple left Miami and downsized to a tiny home in a Georgia forest. They found happiness through building more tiny homes in their backyard and renting them on Airbnb.on September 26, 2023 at 2:08 am
John and Fin Kernohan live in the Beloved Cabin, a tiny home they built out of a lofted cabin shell. In their backyard in Georgia, they rent out tiny homes, yurts, domes, and even a tiny firehouse.
- Small self-improvement changes you can make to see a big difference in your health and happinesson September 26, 2023 at 12:45 am
To self-improve, start with simple changes you can make for an overall healthier routine. Incorporating habits like reading and exercising into your life can help guide your self-improvement.
- Recipes for Happiness May Not Work for the Chronically Illon September 25, 2023 at 9:51 am
The chronically ill build a happy life by constructing a version of normal life, finding acceptance for a new self, and, most importantly, expanding their inner life. You can reside in a small part of ...
- Shakira says she sees happiness as a luxury and isn't convinced it's for everyoneon September 24, 2023 at 9:12 pm
"It's reserved for a very select number of people, and I can't say I'm part of the club at this moment," Shakira said when asked if she was happy.
- I took a 2-day vow of silence and stopped using my phone—here's the No. 1 thing it taught me about happinesson September 24, 2023 at 6:30 am
Inspired by the University of Pennsylvania "monk class," I put my phone in a drawer and stopped talking for 48 hours. It helped me learn a lesson on happiness.
via Bing News