Google sees a future where carriers have to compete on price and the quality of their networks, rather than exclusive deals with handset manufacturers like AT&T’s lengthy exclusive deal with Apple for the iPhone and subsequent models.
The Nexus One is its first baby step toward that future and it’s currently available in unlocked form to consumers in the US, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong for US$529. If for some reason you want to be locked into a contract, the only option is T-Mobile, with the phone available for $179 with a two-year contract, with Verizon (US) and Vodafone (EU) options available in the not-too-distant future.
Andy Rubin, VP of Engineering at Google, refers to the Nexus One as a “superphone” due to the 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU inside. To put this into some perspective, the Motorola Droid, iPhone 3GS and the Palm Pre all use a 600MHz Arm Cortex A8 CPU. I say some perspective due to the lesson that Intel taught us with the Pentium 4 – clockspeed doesn’t mean everything.
The Latest on: Smartphone
via Google News
The Latest on: Smartphone
- The Next Xiaomi: How Realme Became The World’s Fastest Smartphone Brand To Reach 50M Saleson January 13, 2021 at 1:29 am
The Chinese smartphone company was founded in May 2018 by Sky Li, former vice president of Oppo. Both brands are owned by BKK Electronics. The post The Next Xiaomi: How Realme Became The World’s ...
- CES 2021 highlights: see-through TVs, a rollable smartphone and ice cream podson January 12, 2021 at 11:50 pm
We're two days into this year's virtual Consumer Electronics Show, and we've already seen big tech announcements from companies like LG, Razer, and even Yves Saint-Laurent and L'Oreal. From a ...
- LG’s first flexible smartphone, the LG Rollable, is coming “early this year”on January 12, 2021 at 2:54 pm
CES is very often the home of vaporware product demos, and that certainly seemed to be the case when LG briefly teased a rollable-smartphone prototype, called simply "LG Rollable," during its press ...
- LG claims its rollable-screen smartphone is coming “early this year”on January 12, 2021 at 1:52 pm
LG only showed a combined 10 seconds of the LG Rollable to start and end its press conference, but the footage shows a phone with two sliding halves and a "growing" display. It looks exactly like the ...
- LG Is Launching a New Smartphone With a Screen That Rolls Upon January 12, 2021 at 11:00 am
Click here to read the full article. First we saw them fold, now they’re starting to roll. In its newest effort to shake up the smartphone market, LG will release a rollable smartphone later this year ...
- Samsung unveils flagship Exynos 2100 smartphone chipon January 12, 2021 at 9:53 am
The new 5-nanometer chip offers up to 20% lower power consumption or 10% higher overall performance compared to the previous-gen 7-nanometer chips.
- CES 2021: Ready for a rollable smartphone? LG, TCL tease rollable screenson January 11, 2021 at 4:17 pm
LG Electronics teased a rollable smartphone at CES 2021 even as most of us are still trying to get used to foldables. At the tail-end of LG's video press conference, the company teased the rollable ...
- Get this smartphone scope and you might never have to visit an optometrist againon January 11, 2021 at 2:28 pm
There's no longer a reason to leave your home to get a vision check for new glasses. Here's how VisionCheck 2 works.
- Researchers acquire 3-D images with LED room lighting and a smartphoneon January 11, 2021 at 10:18 am
As LEDs replace traditional lighting systems, they bring more smart capabilities to everyday lighting. While you might use your smartphone to dim LED lighting at home, researchers have taken this ...
- Watch the screen of the LG Rollable smartphone expand in this new teaser videoon January 11, 2021 at 9:33 am
LG shared a brief look of a rollable phone that could provide a solution to the problems people have faced with foldable phones.
via Bing News